Monday, October 10, 2011

Let's talk RAIN!!

Here is a little science riddle for you......What do you get when you put 60 wet children with soaked backpacks into a 40 foot yellow metal lunch box on wheels? 
Anybody? huh huh... can you guess? 
A rolling yellow sauna! hahahahaha!  
 The kids stand out in the rain for 5 minutes with their pretty color printed umbrellas. As I pull up to the bus stop they piles on. Well at least the ones that can get their umbrellas down. So picture this - a kid holding their umbrella like it is a jousting sword. Mind you it is 3-4 feet wide and my bus door is only 2 1/2 feet wide. So the kids push and push trying to get the umbrella through the door multiple times! After I am done laughing I tell them to turn it sideways and then they can get it through. They then hand it to me to put it down.. did I mention it was soaked? Yes, on rainy days I wear rain gear while I drive! Now that the student has the umbrella down they continue to shake it all the way down the isle to the seat they chose to sit down in. Now the floors are wet the seats are wet and the kids are wet...Where do you think all that moisture goes? I goes all over the windows...my windows. My buses front windshield is about 3 ft high and 7 ft across with a 6 inch fan for the defroster, which is trying to keep up with 60 kids wet bodies....while I am trying to see out of to drive! I have learned some tricks over the years. 1) don’t turn on the student heaters. this just makes the kids dry out faster and more moisture in the air. 2) crack all the window down one notch...and make sure the kids don’t put them up when they get on! 3) turn on all my fans in the front to re-direct the moisture out and away from My windows! 
Did I mention that bus drivers like to play in the puddles. Think about it...it is the time of year were the trees are shedding their leaves and clogging up all the drains on the streets. Which creates these great water back ups we like to call puddles. This is when the inner child comes out in us school bus drivers. Our eyes get all big and glassy when we see “the water puddle” that we just have to drive through and try to make the biggest  splash possible, to the point we think there are judges watching to give us that perfect score. So we drive as closes as possible to the deep part of the puddle to make the biggest splash....and we admire our work as we drive away....I just hope that isn’t you that is standing on the sidewalk..LOL! 

1 comment:

  1. Why yes. Yes we do love our puddles.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nvKLwc2w4&feature=

    ReplyDelete